- Magnetic feature is amazing
- Limited to 60watts
- Power only, no data/video
USB-C hit the scene not too long ago and we are seeing more and more new products, using the USB-C option as standard. Give it a year or two and the only type of USB port you will find, will be type C. With that in mind, Griffin jumped straight onto this technology and manufactured the Griffin BreakSafe USB-C cable, suitable for the masses and equipped with the favorable ‘magnetic’ quick release feature.
“BreakSafe’s patented quick-release magnetic connector plugs into your laptop’s USB-C port and safely disconnects from the rest of the cable when under stress or strain, like tripping over the power cord. The streamlined magnetic connector is only 12.8 mm deep so you can leave it plugged into your laptop’s USB-C port when not in use.”
Here are the features Griffin state for the cable:
- Safely disconnects from your computer when under stress or strain
- Compatible with Apple’s MacBook (12″) and other devices that charge via USB-C
- Length: 6 ft. (1.8 m)
- In the box: BreakSafe USB-C cable with quick disconnect magnetic connector
- Designed and tested to meet USB-C power standards
- Rated up to 60 watts (20 volts at 3 amps) power
- Data and video are not supported
- US Patent No. US7658613B1
- Warranty: Guaranteed for Life
Griffin are marketing this cable to the MacBook fans but users have said that the cable cannot be used on some of the larger MacBooks, as they require more than 60watts of power. Unfortunately, I do not have a MacBook, but my phone does accept USB-C and charged it perfectly. Note this cable does not support data and video!
The magnetic feature is really handy and makes connecting your device to the cable easier than ever. If you’ve got a laptop, I don’t see it being a problem leaving the connector in but if you use it for your mobile, I imagine the connector will annoy you and perhaps even stop you using certain phone cases.
What more can I say, it’s a USB-C power cable that’s been built with real quality, and kept true to a connection that MacBook owners loved. It’s a quality cable, that should last you forever, or if not, it comes with a lifetime warranty anyway. The Griffin BreakSafe currently retails for just £29.99 and can be purchased via the official Griffin Technology website.